Plus why Apple should bundle Apple Music with iPhone 8.
Facebook is reportedly experimenting with a new feature called “Things in Common”, which highlights shared interests you have with your friends’ friends. The feature appears in a small box underneath a friend’s friend list on desktop, along with a prompt to “see what you have in common with” that individual’s friends.
Read more about this new test feature here.
Read more about this bizarre project here.
Instagram has announced that Stories can now be watched on desktop Internet browsers. Heading to the desktop site, you’ll now be able to browse stories at the top of your feed, just like you’d expect when using the app. Since you can’t necessarily tap your desktop’s screen, left and right arrows have been included for convenience. Instagram also says it will soon be enabling the creation of stories via mobile Web browsers, without plans of desktop story creation as of now.
Read more about this update here.
Spotify looks set to shift gears on video and podcasts, with the announcement that division head and originals boss Tom Calderone has exited the company. Spotify confirmed the departure of former VH1 executive, saying that it is refocusing its video and podcasting efforts to complement existing music content.
Read more about this story here.
- Facebook tests feature that makes it easier to creep on mutual friends [via Mashable]
- Facebook looks to open new advertising channels for publishers [via Mumbrella]
- Making Apps on Facebook more engaging and social [via FB Newsroom]
- Twitter’s terms of service are making people mad — but they’re not new [via TechCrunch]
- Twitter suspends Russian news channel’s ‘British embassy’ account [via The Guardian]
- Instagram Stories Now Viewable on Desktop, Mobile Web Creation Soon [via PetaPixel]
- 10 Instagram Statistics to Keep in Mind When Planning Your 2018 Strategy [via Social Media Today]
- Man Who Ran Into Burning Man Festival Fire Dies [via Stereogum]
- Southbound Festival 2017 has been cancelled [via triple j]
- Taylor Swift Surprises Alabama, FSU Fans With New Song [via Complex Music]
- Kendrick Lamar’s VMA Performance Was Originally Meant For “DAMN.” Tour [via Pigeons & Planes]
- LCD Soundsystem’s “Best Show” Joke Shirt Is a Real Shirt Now [via Pitchfork]
- Will We Ever See an Album Like Michael Jackson’s ‘Bad’ Score Five Hot 100 No. 1s Again? [via Billboard]
- Spotify Shifts Gears On Video, Podcasts As Division Head Tom Calderone Exits [via hypebot]
- Analyst suggests Apple should bundle Apple Music with iPhone 8 [via Music Ally]
- Somebody Asked 13-17 Year Olds How They Listen to Music. Half the Answers Didn’t Exist When They Were Born. [via Digital Music News]
- Will ‘Generation Z’ spell the end of traditional terrestrial AM/FM radio? [via Digital Trends]
- “Despacito” could have made so much money—if people weren’t listening on YouTube [via Quartz]
- YouTube Red Gives Offline Listening An Upgrade [via hypebot]
- A Day in the Life of a Social Media Strategist [via Rival IQ]
- Have Designers Lost Control Of Design? [via Fast Company Design]
- Google Releases New Report on the Most Popular ‘How to’ Searches [via Social Media Today]
- Comedian’s Spoof Anti Same-sex Marriage Ad Goes Viral, While The Project’s Piss-take Cops Backlash [via B&T]
JADEN JAM: A landlocked city in Germany has claimed the Guinness World Record for the world’s tallest sand castle.